Friday, January 11, 2008

"Take the last train to Clarksville...

...and I'll meet you at the station." Last Train to Clarksville by the Monkees.

We passed the last exit to Clarksville, TN today, and I always think of the Monkees there--even though it was very probably a different Clarksville.

So, would you believe, that my computer screen has cracked completely in half? I can only see half the screen as I type this, so it'll be short and sweet (like most things worthwhile--though I don't know that this will be) and possibly my last for a week or so--until I get to school where the nice tech people lurk and fix things for irresponsible people like me.

No, but seriously, it was in its nice, padded, SAFE case all day--what on earth happened?

Ok, so two quick notes.

First, as we drove through Arkansas today, and made all the normal jokes about the piles of "stuff," but occurred to me that I would take someone from Arkansas over anywhere else in the world anyday. (In terms of American pride, and all that, of course.)

Second, and more interestingly, we ate lunch at a Cracker Barrel today. It was its normal, delicious self, and the sweet looking older lady at the table next to us was eating alone. She was quite genteel--a southern lady, as it would appear, and as she finished eating, the manager came out to say hello. I don't think they knew each other, he was just perusing the store and saw her solitary repast. In her expressions and mannerisms, I was so strongly reminded of someone. I couldn't think who for the life of me until she left (we were still eating) but then as she walked out, it hit me. She looked precisely like Judy Garland would've at about 70. She had that same, sweet, slow smile that was characteristic, and the big brown eyes, and she was quite petite. Her voice was low and musical too. But she had a quirk and a dimple that was exactly like Judy Garlands. Ah me.

Finally, my mom and I were talking about romance, because one of the CDs we listened to today was my own mix of very mushy-gushy music called "Potty Lurves Looney" (That is a cultural reference to Harry Potter, for those of you who were homeschooled.)

Anyhow, we spent a good hour discussing what is REALLY romatic. So I thought I'd share that with you before I go off the air indefinitely. We decided there are three things that are compeltely, 100%, true-blue, no-kidding, utterly romantic. But all of these have to be done in just the right way, or it all falls apart. But I'll explain that as I go.

1. Paying special attention at dances.
What most guys don't realize (which is why I'm explaining this here) is how much dances mean to girls. I don't know why--but they do. Perhaps it's our early training with White Christmas, but whatever the reason, we always expect "the best things" to "happen while we're dancing" and when they don't we are depressed and crushed, like Lizzie in Pride and Predjudice when she realizes that Wickham didn't come to the ball, and when Darcy insulted her. (Which brings me to note another useful lesson for guys--Jane Austen has plenty to teach about women if you're willing to sacrifice and read the books or even see the movies.)

2. Surprises. I think the element of surprise is vastly underestimated anymore. I guess it partly comes from the "need for communication" that we have today, as well as the quick turnaround time for all relationships and activities in our modern lives. I was thinking of my sister, and her recent engagement when I realized that I don't want to be like that. I want to be surprised. I want to be close to the guy, and totally love him, and know I would marry him, but I want to be like, "wait, are you SERIOUS?!?!" and then, of course, "Yes!!!" This also applies to things like starting a relationship--dating and such. I don't mean you shouldn't explain where you are (dtr's--define the relationship.) but it shouldn't make you fear surprising her.

3. The final notice of this discussion was that girls (ok, at least, THIS girl) thinks the utterly most romantic thing ever is to be "stolen back." The absolute best two examples of this that I can think of, are Sweet Home Alabama and The Absentminded Professor. I think of that line when the professor's housekeeper says to him, "Even a chimpanzee will fight for its mate."

So anyhow, that's the depth of the thought on the roadtrip for today.

Ta ta for now, folks.

No comments: