Monday, October 18, 2010

"Created for a place I've never known...

...this is home, now I'm finally where I belong." Home by Switchfoot.

My precious husband took me on an adventure during his days off, our little "weekend" which was actually Thursday and Friday last week.

In his ongoing campaign to endear Kentucky to me, he took me out in all the autumn splendor to see Cumberland Falls and Arch National Park in the Daniel Boone National Forest.

It was splendid.

We drove through lovely woods that were just turning yellow and red.



We got to the lodge and saw the river amidst the turning colors--it was so pretty, and it couldn't have been a more perfect day--cool and crisp and sunny.



And then we got to the falls! They were so pretty and ethereal--the pictures simply don't do it justice. It's known as the "Niagra of the South" because it's the biggest waterfall southwest of Niagra and East of the Rockies.


And Ryan and I found a heart-shaped leaf. <3

That made us get all mushy and kiss in front of the falls. :)


Then we made our way over to the Arch, about a 20-minute drive from the Falls.


Ryan found a rock to perch on and terrorize other hikers.


We walked through lovely woods for about 10 minutes to get to the Arch.

On the way we were "lost in the wilderness" off the trail. :P


I held the Arch up, once we got there. It's very delicate, according to the literature.

The "dark side" of the arch. :) We walked all the way around the outcropping, then went on to the overlook.


The Arch from the overlook.


Slightly distracted from the view.



Fun day off. :)

Love!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awe! Look like you guys had a fun weekend! The pics are beautiful!
Miss you both!
sista' H