Monday, December 08, 2008

"Keep holdin' on...

...cuz you know we'll make it through, make it through." Keep Holding' On, Avril Lavigne.

So here I am, sitting in the study cubes in D2 with a handful of other girls who also have things due this last week of school. I'm finishing up my last paper of the semester--a 20-page monster comparing the Weather Underground radical terrorist group from the 60s and 70s to Hamas. Interestingly enough, there is a lot of similarity in mindset between the two groups--though one is an Islamic radical-nationalistic group while the other was a purely intellectual-emotional reaction by well-educated youth with a white-guilt complex (or so my studies lead me to believe).

But I don't really want to talk about that at the moment--I get to discuss it at length in my paper, and having to cram so much into 20 pages is enough to sicken anyone of anything. At the same time, at this point of brain-deadness in the semester, writing 20 pages is asking a lot.

But that isn't the point. The point is, I get to learn tons of things about how people work, how the world ticks, what makes people do the things they do, make choices they make, and do things that, on the surface, seem completely unreasonable (sometimes they continue to seem unreasonable no matter how deep into it you get).

Speaking of illogical acts...I have gotten a habit of seeing things that are flawed in their core assumptions and comparing them to Marxism, which, of course, has a core misapprehension about human nature. It leads to interesting comments, like, "Chapel attendance policy is like Marxism." or "group projects are like Marxism." Sometimes the result is more accurate than others.

Jolly-Berry gave all of us female Ra's an individually selected mugs from the Disney store for Christmas. She gave me a pink Minnie-mouse mug, which I adore. I asked her why she chose that particular one for me, and she told me it was because she wanted to get me the "classic" childish fun Disney character for my mug, since my style is essentially that: classic, childish, fun. Woot.

She also attached quotes with each mug, and mine was very apropos:

Just imagine. He'll stride into the room. Light will glow from him. I'll hear music. He'll bring me flowers. And he'll sweep me off my feet. And I'll know he's the one, when he makes me laugh.

Sigh ("A forbidden love! How romantic!"--another Minnie Mouse/Daisy quote).

So I need to get back to my paper...and then there are two others, and then there are finals!!! But I'm a week-and-a-half away from the freedom of Christmas and my FINAL SEMESTER in undergrad! Hallelujah! What's the saying? A day late and a dollar short? More like a year late and many dollars, but still. :)

And, just for fun, here is a picture of Mumsie and Daddy's new cat, Neffy, with my pumpkin. Very seasonal of her (at Halloween...)


Isn't it ironic?

No comments: