Wednesday, April 11, 2012

"I'll stay right where I am till you come back...

...I don't want to lose you." I Want To Belong To You by Katie Herzig.

So a few weeks ago I told you all about the BBC series Robin Hood that I was watching on Netflix. And I said it was good.

And now I've finished it. And I'm going to try not to spoil it for you.

Image from IMDB.com
IN WHO'S UNIVERSE DOES..what happens in this series happen? Who thought that was a good idea? I do not approve. The third season was fine but...a major plot line (my FAVORITE) was just, like, over after season two. What was the point? And then they brought in all these new girls and sheriffs and such and...well, the only thing that saved the primary new girl in my mind was that she's Anna from Downton Abbey. I'm sorry, but it's true. I literally cried and refused to watch it for days after season two, and then I hurried through the rest. And then, in the end, they had the AUDACITY to...do another unspeakable horror to the plot. I was furious. I cried. Like this. (That is also what I looked like at the end of season two.)

Image found here

So anyway. It's a good series, but I hated it.

And stuff.

Since I brought up Anna anyway, I think I better mention Downton Abbey in more than just an aside. Have I told you about it before?

In case you, like me, live under a rock as far as TV series go and haven't heard of it, let me recommend it to you. There's two racy and unpleasant scenes in the first episode or two, but just suffer through it, and then the rest of the series only ever refers to them and are otherwise clean as a whistle. And it's charming and delightful and funny. Like a brand-new Pride and Prejudice. It's the kind of TV show you can literally watch the entire season in one sitting and want more. Even my sweet husband was upset when, after a good eight hours of Downton Abbey on his day off, we found out the next season wasn't out till next January. So if I like it and he likes it and my parents both like it; basically, it's a crowd pleaser. And we're watching it over again from the beginning now because the Dowager is just too funny for words.

Image from IMDB.com
And while we're talking about wildly popular entertainment phenomena, let's bring up the Hunger Games. I read it and went to see it. It was enjoyable, in a sense, like any gladiator story of an dramatic protagonist fighting a symbolic fight to free her country from the oppression. I wanted to stay au courant with the hip new literature and movies, but it did not live up to my expectations. There were enjoyable and touching parts to the story, both in film and book, and it's probably worth seeing once, though we wouldn't buy it. I was surprised, however, how some of the authors creations ("Tracker Jackers") really stuck with me. Now whenever I see a wasp I am even more terrified.

For what it's worth, that's my two cents. :) Love!

No comments: