Thursday, July 30, 2009

"Picture yourself on a boat on a river...

...with tangerine trees and marmalade sky." Lucy by Beatles.

I've heard that song, Lucy, a million times--I mean, I LOVE the Beatles.

But today, this morning, for no apparent reason (no, I was NOT high...) I heard the words quite differently and I had to stop and think, "now wait, what are the lyrics really, again?"

This is what I heard:

Picture yourelf in a boat on a river
With tangling trees and marvelous skies
Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly
A girl with the lightest of eyes
Some of the flowers of yellow and green
Coloring clover of red
Look for the girl with the sun in her eyes
And she's gone...
Lucy and this guy with diamonds,
Lucy and this guy with diamonds,
Lucy and this guy with diamonds...

...and so on.

So for a breif moment, the song actually seemed to be about a guy who saw this girl then realized she was getting engaged...but no, it's still about...um, it's about... :P

I love it.

Isn't it ironic?

No comments: