Sunday, January 27, 2008

"I don't know how to explain it...

...but I know that words will hardly do." I've Always Loved You by Third Day.

Here is the whole song:

I've Always Loved You
Third Day

I don't know how to explain it
But I know that words will hardly do.
Miracles and signs and wonders
Aren't enough for me to prove to you.

Don't you know I've always loved you?
Even before there was time?
Though you turn away, I'll tell you still--
Don't you know I've always loved you,
And I always will.

Greater love knows not a man
Than the one who gives his life to prove
That He would do anything
And that's what I'm going to do for you

Don't you know I've always loved you?
Even before there was time?
Though you turn away, I'll tell you still--
Don't you know I've always loved you,
And I always will.

Today was one of the jolliest Sundays ever--a big boon from the Lord, as this week was fairly drab and lonely. But again, as the friends who emailed and called to encourage me this week reminded me, "it didn't come to stay--it came to pass." Yay.

What made it so jolly? Oh me. Well, it actually started last night, with an amazing outing with Angel-Face and Mr. Where? to Taco Bell. We had one of those conversations that are so unbelievably encouraging and fun and happy, yet serious too--the kind of conversation that really helps you reorganize your priorities. (I know I did!) Besides which, it helped me to remember that up times and down times are not eternal--they are temporal, and both are a blessing from the Lord. (Easy to say now--but perhaps I can go back one day and say, "Oh yeah--I remember now.")


So this morning I went to church as usual. I always try to examine my heart in connection to the service and allow the lesson to impact me, but this week, my heart seemed strangely and wonderfully receptive. The sermon was a bit of a fire-and-brimstone message, but with plenty of grace thrown in (for those who don't speak Christianese, that means that this sermon showed the disgusting nature of my sin before a holy God, and the terrible judgment that my sin incurs. The grace is in that Jesus took that wrath and judgment on himself so that I am forgiven, without having to do anything except claim that gift of Jesus sacrifice.) I left realizing the emptiness of hypocrisy and especially how God loves obedience more than sacrifice. A verse that has come up more and more lately is Micah 6:8: "He has shown you, oh man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you; but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God."

After church, at lunch, I met up with Angel-Face and Mr. Where? again. Angel-Face said she wanted to bake cookies to thank the guys who helped her change a flat last week--so we all arranged to go to a friend's house nearby (and thereby having a kitchen wherein to bake) and make cookies. To be precise, Angel-Face and I were going to bake, and Mr. Where? was going to "test" our cookies. So we went shopping for ingredients and got busy. We decided to double the recipe to make enough cookies for the three strapping young men who had helped with the whole tire escapade, as well as ourselves, our hosts, and anybody we'd forgotten. Rather than simply doubling it though, Angel-Face challenged me to a cookie duel. (I did mention that Angel-Face dubbed us "the three musketeers," didn't I? Apparently I'm Porthos the pirate, Angel-Face is Aramis, and Mr. Where? is Athos.) Anyhow, we had our duel with Mr. Where judging and it was quite the battle.

In the end, we called it a draw, but with a rematch of Italian food next time. (Mr. Where? cunningly suggested that, since he will HAVE to judge it, and Italian food just HAPPENS to be his favorite...)

I have studying and stuff to do now, but it was simply too, too wonderful of a day. I am constantly amazed that, despite my doubts and lack of faith, God is constantly blessing me with wonderful gifts that I do not deserve, and that I do not expect, like the company and encouragement of Angel-Face and Mr. Where?.

I should probably apply this lesson to the rest of my life.

Isn't life ironic?

No comments: